Frankston RSL History

1919 – Inaugural meeting of the Frankston RSL was held in the Commercial Chambers (Bay Street), now Nepean Highway. Later in 1919 meetings were held at the Mechanics Hall.

 

1920 – The Frankston RSL Charter was issued on January 1st. Early members included Prime Minister Stanley Bruce, Major General Grimwade and Doctor Charles Maxwell.

 

1952 – The Davey Street premises of the Frankston RSL were purchased. The new lounge at Davey Street was opened by Sir Dallas Brooks, Governor of Victoria, in 1963.

 

1954 – Frankston RSL gained its liquor licence.

 

1966 – New bowling green opened.

 

1973 – Due to continual growth of the Frankston population and increases in membership to the RSL, expansion of the premises was warranted. The land at Cranbourne Road was purchased on December 21st in preparation for the new facility.

 

1975 – Cranbourne Rd premises erected.

 

1976 – Occupation of the new Memorial Hall was effected on Monday August 2nd and was opened by Sir Henry Winneke Governor of Victoria on October 2nd with a dedication by Rev. Allan Avery.

 

1983 – Additions to the Cranbourne Road Club Rooms.

 

2006 – First stage redevelopment of the Cranbourne Road site commences.

 

2008 – Completion of first stage development. This was inclusive of two new function rooms, redevelopment of Members area and the relocation of the Bistro and Gaming rooms.

 

2010 – Cracked Pepper extension completed

 

2012 – Redevelopment of Cracked Pepper

 

2015 – Redevelopment of Welfare Room, Staff Room, Memorial Garden and Gaming Room toilets.

 

© 2017 Frankston RSL - 183 Cranbourne Road Frankston VIC, Melbourne. Phone 03 9783 2288 - Melbourne Website Design by zen10